dmd 2.068, 2.069, 2.0xx Evil Plan going forward

ZombineDev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 19 22:20:40 PDT 2015

On Monday, 20 July 2015 at 05:05:52 UTC, ZombineDev wrote:
> On Monday, 20 July 2015 at 04:02:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> 2.068 - resolve remaining regressions and release
>>
>> 2.069 - translate to D. No new features, no refactoring. Only
>> regression fixes and what's already in HEAD. This should give
>> us a solid baseline. It also means that open PRs that address
>> other issues will not be pulled for 2.069.
>>
>> Perhaps we should name this 2.100, to signify such a milestone.
>>
>> 2.101+ -
>> 1. Take advantage of D features to improve quality.
>> 2. Go to full lazy semantic analysis of imports, rather than
>> the current "analyze them all"
>> 3. Rethink what "speculative instantiation" of templates means
>> so we can have a coherent process of compiling them.
>> 4. Redo CTFE interpreter so it only rarely needs to allocate
>> memory. This was already done for constant folding, but now
>> it's time for the rest of the interpreter.
>> 5. Get rid of reliance on the global error count. This has
>> been mostly done, it just hast to be finished.
>> 6. Convert the back end to D as well.
>
> + 1000000000

I believe that migrating the the development of the compiler from
C++ to D will have extremely positive effect to to the whole
language and ecosystem. We should make this our number one
priority!

@WalterBright and the other core developers:
Can you make a TODO list of what needs to be done to make this
happen?

Is this list in bugzilla complete?
https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&content=ddmd&list_id=202211&order=relevance%20desc&query_format=specific
(I just searched for DDMD)