Wait, what? What is AliasSeq?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 20 08:54:10 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 03:33:14PM +0000, Tofu Ninja via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 20 July 2015 at 14:58:34 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> >Whatever it means, the answers there don't seem to jive with the
> >thread discussing it. In particular, AliasTuple probably has the
> >strongest reaction against it out of any of the choices which have
> >been seriously considered, based principly on all of the problems
> >that we've had in explaining to people what on earth a TypeTuple is.
> >The fact that Tuple is in the name has caused quite a few problems.
> >So, seeing it on the top is a bit surprising. Though I wonder how
> >many of the participants in the thread have responded to that, since
> >many seem to just be sick of the discussion.  More folks have
> >responded to the survey though than have participated in the thread
> >though.
> >
> >- Jonathan M Davis
>
> The ones against a name are vocal in the thread, the ones who don't
> mind it or like it tend to not be as vocal. The thread is not a good
> representation of what people like.

And there's also people like me, who have grown so sick and tired of
this endless bikeshedding (in spite of arriving at some sort of
"consensus" multiple times, only to be interrupted by Yet More
Proposals), that we simply don't even care to respond anymore, we just
want this thread to please just stop. At this point, even if we were to
name this thing AliasQwfdJskCmfpz, I would be OK with it, as long as
I don't see any more posts on this tiresome topic.

All of this energy could have been far more productively spent elsewhere
-- like improving the docs, or fixing the flood of new bugs on Bugzilla
where it has far more impact -- and yet here we are, prolonging this one
with no end in sight.

Andrei/Walter should just step in and make the final call on whatever
lousy name they wish (let's admit it, none of the names are any good,
and you ain't gonna please everybody no matter what), and let's just
move on.

your inconsistency is the only consistent thing about you! -- kd