DUB RC 0.9.24-rc.1 ready for testing

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 21 00:00:56 PDT 2015

On Monday, 20 July 2015 at 23:18:34 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 7/20/15 5:30 PM, Martin Nowak wrote:
>> On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 08:28:08 UTC, Suliman wrote:
>>> In what version of DMD do you plan to include dub and vibe?
>>
>> It doesn't make sense to include vibe.d.
>
> I think it does - this has been discussed before. -- Andrei

It has, in length
http://forum.dlang.org/post/mdnrus$188e$1@digitalmars.com, but
you remain one of the very few to think it is a good idea to
distribute vibe.d with dmd.

It doesn't make sense because dub is the enabling tool for the
whole package ecosystem, with which vibe.d is fully integrated
(dub was formerly called vpm - vibe package manager).
Copying a vibe.d version into the distribution creates a lot of
problems without solving anything.

- what about vibe.d's dependencies
- how would dub know about the distributed vibe.d package
- how to use multiple vibe.d versions in parallel

If your long-term goal is to integrate vibe into phobos, fine,
though I'm not a fan of this strategy b/c an independent package
ecosystem can grow faster.
Simply copying a dub package into the distribution doesn't help
anyone.