What about GDC and LDC after DMD becomes D?

cym13 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 22 04:49:01 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 22 July 2015 at 11:42:24 UTC, Shriramana Sharma
wrote:
> Once the front end of DMD becomes fully D, I read that the
> backend will also become D, but then what will happen to GDC
> and LDC whose backends are C++ IIUC?

I don't see an issue there. A compiler is a program that
implements a standard, as long as it generates good asm it could
be written in brainfuck there would be no reason to care.

A D compiler written in D is a symbol, and D was written so that
D-programmers could stop writting so much C++ so the idea of a
DMD written in D is appealing, but that doesn't mean that all D
compilers have to be written in D.

The only question is "Do they copy DMD correctly?". There is no
doubt that it is doable in C++.