Rant after trying Rust a bit

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 22 14:26:51 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 22 July 2015 at 21:03:52 UTC, simendsjo wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 July 2015 at 19:54:05 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> Recently I attended local Rust meetup for curious newcomers -
>> it was very interesting to observe reaction of unbiased devs
>> not familiar with D at all. General reaction was "this is
>> awesome interesting language that I would never use for any
>> production system unless I am crazy or can throw away money
>> like crazy". Because, well, productivity.
>
> I'm having some problems interpreting this. This is people in
> a Rust meetup - in other words, early adopters. And they thing
> D is crazy "becuse productivity"? I don't understand what you
> mean.

What I understood that he meant was that it was interesting to
see the reaction of folks who have nothing to with D when they
learned about Rust. So, they weren't likely colored by whatever
preconceptions you'd get out of someone who's already invested in
D. They were reacting to Rust without D being in the picture at
all. And their reaction to Rust was that it was cool and
interesting but that it would be crazy to use it in production,
because it's not productive (or at least, they didn't think that
it was) - presumably because some of its features make it too
hard to use, but dicebot would have to elaborate.

- Jonathan M Davis