Where will D sit in the web service space?

Tofu Ninja via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 23 03:16:00 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 23 July 2015 at 08:16:11 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> [...]
> Yes, they both captured smaller markets and stopped there,
> unable to go further.  D is aiming for a bigger market.

Personally I think you both make good points, D really shines as
a general purpose language, and I wouldn't want to change that.
But getting D to be a go to language for a niche market would
help D a lot in terms of adoption, and getting contributors.

As others have said before in this thread, I think where D could
actually make progress in is in game dev as it has such a massive
set of needs. D covers a lot of its needs really well, and
focusing on game dev would not make D itself very niche. Also
game dev does not really have a go to language other than C or
C++, so D could really make progress in there as it already
trying to be a C++ replacement. I don't see go or rust being used
seriously in game dev either, so less competition.

Though it seems like D is already be moving in that direction.
Color and image being worked on, allocators and less reliance on
GC, and all the great game dev related packages in dub, D is
already moving towards good game dev. Some basic vector math in
phobos would really be a great addition as well.