dmd 2.068, 2.069, 2.0xx Evil Plan going forward

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 23 04:05:03 PDT 2015

On 07/21/2015 09:47 AM, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> Such gdc-specific frontend changes are fortunately rare. But with our
> own frontend fork we can simply commit them. With a unified frontend
> we'll have to spent hours convincing dmd devs that we need these
> changes for GDC.

I understand that it's sometimes frustrating to spend hours convincing
somebody of a seemingly obvious change. But please bear in mind that
communication is the foundation for collaboration.
The only sustainable way to raise awareness for gdc/ldc implications of
dmd changes is to explain why something needs to be done differently.
I think the Target pattern is a good example for a design decision
making gdc/ldc related differences visible in the dmd frontend.

Of course it's possible to just fork the frontend and pave your own way,
but in the interest of alternative compilers I'd rather see more
involvement of you in dmd development to help identify issues upfront.
A good improvement would be to continously merge the dmd frontend during
gdc development. Right now we only get feedback (if any) for issues long
after the changes have been released.

TL;DR The reason you have to convince dmd devs is b/c we have no idea
what you're doing and you don't tell us.