Rant after trying Rust a bit

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 23 08:32:23 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 23 July 2015 at 13:30:49 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I used to be quite jazzed about the everything-is-an-expression
> mantra, but it's not all great.
>
> 1. Inferring function return types when everything is an
> expression (i.e. last expression there is the return type) may
> yield WAT results.
>
> 2. Defining a result type for loops is awkward.
>
> At the end of the day everything-is-an-expression is natural
> for functional languages, but doesn't seem it makes a large
> difference to an imperative language.

It also works well for Ruby with its dynamic typing. Function
return types don't matter, of course, and for loops you just use
whatever the last executed expression happens to be.

Anyway, in D we have delegate literals, for the rare cases where
it's useful.