Rant after trying Rust a bit

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 23 08:55:36 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 22 July 2015 at 20:43:04 UTC, simendsjo wrote:

> Let me add a point for Rust somewhat related :)
>
> Community
> ---------
> The community is nice, helpful and doesn't condecent people.

I'd challenge you to write something other than 100% praise for
Rust and see how nice the community is. Not that their community
is bad, but they won't be winning any awards. Disclaimer: I gave
up on Rust quite a while ago.

> I disagree. String mixins are much easier to abuse than hygenic
> macros. String mixins allows anything, and while it offers
> infinite possibilities, it also encourage abuse.

As someone that used to spend a lot of time with Lisp, I find it
funny that macros are promoted as a way to avoid abuse of
language features. On the issue of hygienic macros, there's a
reason the major Scheme implementations still offer Common
Lisp-style macros, in spite of the obvious theoretical advantages.