Rant after trying Rust a bit

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 23 10:19:49 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 22 July 2015 at 21:03:52 UTC, simendsjo wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 July 2015 at 19:54:05 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> Macros are utterly horrible and pretty much unusable outside
>> of advanced library internals.
>
> Not sure what you are referencing here. Macros expand to code.
> If
> you compare this to string mixins, they are a lot easier for
> tool
> writers, but a lot less powerful.

I've read that someone managed to implement compile time regex
using macros in Rust. The author of it noted that D was the only
other language he knew of that had pulled that off. The fact that
it's expressive enough to pull off one of Phobo's coolest tricks
is impressive I think. I don't know enough about it to have my
own opinions of how it fairs against D in general. It could very
well be that doing stuff like that is far beyond anyone but the
most advanced users though I don't think many D users could pull
of what Dmitry has done either.