Rant after trying Rust a bit

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 23 10:43:47 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 23 July 2015 at 17:34:45 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

> Feature template:
>         What it is
>                 so like a mixin template is a list of
> declarations with names
>         Core concept in usage
>                 mixin template example, basic use
>                 use with templates
>                 use with a name to mix in overloads
>         Where it is used in tutorials and other places IRL
>

> That's the skeleton outline for how I want to do docs. The
> "what it is" we kinda have now, though it could often be
> clearer, but we don't have the nice examples (well, outside of
> things like my book) and we certainly don't have the top-level
> how to do X in the whole ecosystem, and the interlinking to
> learn more.

Definitely sounds interesting.

> That would be good. I also think a top-level "the boss whats
> you to do X and needs it by end of day, follow these steps to
> learn how and read these links to dive deeper" would be super
> useful. They should feed into each other.

I actually just had your D Cookbook delivered a few days ago.
Beyond a few cases of extra semi-colons, one of the things that
really stood out were where you took something I would find very
complicated, describe the few key steps to accomplish the
complicated task, and then follow up with a bunch of code that
does those steps. I like that teaching method.