dmd 2.068, 2.069, 2.0xx Evil Plan going forward

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 23 11:03:28 PDT 2015

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 02:11:49 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> On 7/20/2015 1:40 AM, Kagamin wrote:
>> On Monday, 20 July 2015 at 04:35:30 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> But I view the backend license encumbrance as more of a theoretical
>>> issue than a practical one - the license is extremely permissive.
>>> There isn't that much more to it than agreeing to not sue Symantec.
>>
>> Redistribution is explicitly disallowed though (i.e. one can't fork it
>> on github without individual permission).
>
> Yeah, well, I've never denied anyone permission, and the only point of
> that is they have to agree not to sue Symantec.

but still, the backend license is what blocks including DMD in some GNU/
Linux distros repositories, 'cause "The Software is copyrighted and comes
with a single user license, and may not be redistributed."

this effectively blocks all non-source-based distros from redistributing
DMD as distro package (both in compiled and in source forms).