dmd 2.068, 2.069, 2.0xx Evil Plan going forward

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 23 13:17:46 PDT 2015

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 12:17:21 +0000, Martin Nowak wrote:

> - The backend generates pretty bad code, we'll never be able to catch up
> with good optimizers. Why should we invest in an outdated backend?

the one reason is that it's small and doesn't require 3rd-party libraries
to build. while it's not the best backend out here, change-compile-full-
rebuild cycle is very fast for DMD, and doesn't require to install gcc
sources or llvm.

yet i'm not sure that this reason will outweigh the translation and
maintenance burden.