dmd 2.068, 2.069, 2.0xx Evil Plan going forward

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 23 13:24:11 PDT 2015

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 21:49:00 +0000, Martin Nowak wrote:

> We have a PR from Kenji, that fixes 313+314.
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3407
>
> It's a major change of the import system, so it needs a thorough review
> and we also need to mitigate the code breakage impact of this change.

at least for phobos, it breaks almost nothing. and where it does some
breckage, it identifies invalid code that relies on import bugs anyway.

the same with some projects i tried to build, like deadcode, for example
(which is fairly big): this PR breaks only invalid code, i.e. code that
relies on current buggy import and should be fixed anyway.

yet, there is surprisingly small amount of such code, literally along 10
or so patches for phobos (and that number constantly decreases), and not
much more for deadcode (but for deadcode the fixes was a little more
complicated, as i have to add some qualifiers in some modules).

i'm using DMD with that patch incorporated for more a year now, and got
no problems with code that doesn't rely on import bugs.