Rant after trying Rust a bit

Ziad Hatahet via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 23 14:26:37 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> I think it is actually kinda pretty:

What about:

int median(int a, int b, int c) {
    return (a<b) ? (b<c) ? b : (a<c) ? c : a : (a<c) ? a : (b<c) ? c : b;
}

vs.

def median(a: Int, b: Int, c: Int) =
  if (a < b) {
    if (b < c) b
    else if (a < c) c
    else a
  }
  else if (a < c) a
  else if (b < c) c
  else b

Before you get too worried about the (), I'd point out that this is a very
> common pattern in Javascript (for like everything...) and while everybody
> hates JS, most every uses it too; this patten is good enough for usefulness.

Is the compiler always able to always optimize out the function call by
inlining it, as would be the case with a scope?