Rant after trying Rust a bit

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 23 23:56:43 PDT 2015

On 7/23/2015 10:49 PM, Tobias Müller wrote:
> Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>> I know a lot of the programming community is sold on exclusive
>> constraints (C++ concepts, Rust traits) rather than inclusive ones (D
>> constraints). What I don't see is a lot of experience actually using them
>> long term. They may not turn out so well, like ES.
>
> Haskell has type classes since ~1990.

Haskell is sometimes described as a bondage-and-discipline language. Google it
if you don't believe me :-) Such languages have their place and adherents, but I
don't think D is directed that way.

Exception Specifications were proposed for Java and C++ by smart, experienced
programmers. It looked great on paper, and in the simple examples in the
proposals. The unfit nature of it only emerged years later. Concepts and traits
appear to me to suffer from the same fault.