Where will D sit in the web service space?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 24 07:44:53 PDT 2015

On Friday, 24 July 2015 at 06:02:12 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 24 July 2015 at 05:19:08 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> Yep, I specifically mentioned the mobile and server domains as
>> places where general-purpose native/AoT-compiled languages are
>> having a resurgence, obviously for the efficiency reasons
>> Etienne lists.
>
> In theory. Objective-C and Swift are AoT, but not efficiency
> focused and geared towards interactive apps. I wouldn't call
> Swift+Metal general purpose.

What is not "efficiency focused" about Obj-C and Swift?  iOS apps
are known for their much better battery life and responsiveness,
which is why google finally started AoT-compiling Java with
Android 5 and added a concurrent GC in ART.  Of course Metal
isn't general-purpose, nobody said it is, but I don't see why
you'd say Swift isn't.

>> de-emphasized as a result.  However, with the rise of mobile
>> and webapps not doing as well there, for a variety of reasons,
>> native development is coming back for many apps, at least on
>> the client side for networked apps.
>
> For most apps it is mostly about UI look-and-feel, not really
> performance.

That is the dumb reason that many people do native mobile apps,
no question, but performance is a big part of the equation also,
which is why some big HTML5 mobile apps ended up switching to
native mobile instead.