Where will D sit in the web service space?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 24 08:06:29 PDT 2015

On Friday, 24 July 2015 at 14:55:59 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> So Obj-C/Swift aren't as efficient as C/C++, but nobody is
> using those as the main language on any mobile platform- for
> very good reasons, including that nobody other than game
> developers wants to deal with them- and as native languages,
> Obj-C and Swift are still much more efficient than the JIT-ed
> or interpreted, non-native languages, which is why Android
> finally switched from JIT-ing Java to AoT/native compilation
> recently.

People have used C++ for both native mobile development
(symbian?) and for cross-platform development (e.g. mosync).
However Android and iOS deliberately set  out to kill off
cross-platform development a few years ago by making GUI kits
incompatible and tool-based. So writing GUIs in other languages
than Obj-C/Java became tedious.

I found it much easier to use Mosync-C++ than Objective-C, to be
honest. But it is now a dead technology.