Rant after trying Rust a bit

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 24 12:26:33 PDT 2015

On 7/24/2015 11:39 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Perhaps it might be good idea to allow to set a predefined version identifier,
> i.e. set "linux" on Windows just to see that it compiles. Think of it like the
> "debug" statement can be used as an escape hatch for pure functions.

I don't want to encourage "if it compiles, ship it!" I've strongly disagreed
with the C++ concepts folks on that issue, and they've downvoted me to hell on
it, too :-)

I get the impression that I'm the only one who thinks exclusive traits is more
of a problem than a solution. It's deja vu all over again with Exception
Specifications. So, one of:

1. I'm dead wrong.
2. I fail to explain my argument properly (not the first time that's happened,
fer sure).
3. People strongly want to believe in traits.
4. Smart people say it tastes great and is less filling, so there's a bandwagon
effect.
5. The concepts/traits people have done a fantastic job convincing people that
the emperor is wearing the latest fashion :-)

It's also clear that traits work very well "in the small", i.e. in
specifications of the feature, presentation slide decks, tutorials, etc. Just
like Exception Specifications did. It's the complex hierarchies where it fell apart.