Rant after trying Rust a bit

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 24 19:33:05 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 25 July 2015 at 01:15:52 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/24/2015 4:19 PM, Bruno Queiroga wrote:
>> Could not the compiler just issue a warning
>
> Please, no half features. Code should be correct or not.

Yeah. I wish that no one had ever managed to convince you to add
-w and -wi to dmd. :)

-w is particularly bad, since it affects what code will and won't
compile, which affects stuff like is expressions, so -w can
actually affect the behavior of your program, even if it doesn't
actually result in any errors being printed out. We really should
just make it do the same thing as -wi IMHO.

In any case, I strongly concur with the idea that warnings are a
bad idea. A good developer is going to fix all warnings, which
ultimately makes them the same as errors anyway, and a bad
developer will just leave them there and make them useless,
because there will be too many of them to read.

- Jonathan M Davis