Rant after trying Rust a bit

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 25 06:47:10 PDT 2015

On 7/24/15 9:16 PM, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> Current template types work like duck typing, which works, but its error
> prone, and your argument of unittests is obviously bad in the context of
> duck typing.

Could you please make the obvious explicit?

> We want a real type system for our template types.

Every time this (or really any apology of C++ concepts) comes up, the
discussion has a similar shape:

1. Concepts are great because they're a type system for the type system!
And better error messages! And look at these five-liners! And Look at
iterators! And other nice words!

2. I destroy them.

3. But we want concepts because they're a type system for the type
system! And ... etc. etc.

I have no idea how people can simply ignore the fact that their
arguments have been systematically dismantled.

Andrei