Rant after trying Rust a bit

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 25 13:35:08 PDT 2015

> We're essentially using it with ranges already when we're implementing
> algorithms differently based on what type of range we're given or what extra
> capabilities the range has, so it obviously is showing its usefulness there,

That's right. We've already been doing it in a haphazard manner, what Andrei is
doing is recognizing the technique, naming it, and thinking about how to
formalize it, organize it, and determine best practices.

It's like going from an ad-hoc table of function pointers to recognizing that
one is doing OOP.

> but the allocators is the only other case that I can think of at the moment where it
> would make sense to use it heavily.

Containers are another fairly obvious use case.