Rant after trying Rust a bit

Brandon Ragland via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 25 15:32:29 PDT 2015

I'm not quite sure I understand why this thread is so hot...

Here's my case in point: Rust may as well be a system-language
however it appeals more to the high-level programmers of today.
Your folks from Java, C#, etc. are going to look at Rust with
awe. Technically speaking, Rust doesn't do anything that cannot
be done in D. The way you go about doing things may be different,
and frustrating at times, however that's the basis behind any
language.

D on the other hand is more of a systems language for C and C++
guys.

I'm personally of the opinion that D is wonderful, and it
certainly has already reduced my headache count tremendously from
my C++ days.

As for marketing, for novice and intermediate programmers, the
IDE is the language. D does not have very good IDE support. DDT
is by far the best, but is fairly easy to break, and still lacks
the feel of an IDE designed for D natively, as opposed to a Java
IDE with a plugin running in the background to manage DUB for us.