D Web Services Application Potential?

Brandon Ragland via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 25 19:35:45 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 26 July 2015 at 00:46:58 UTC, Etienne Cimon wrote:
> On 2015-07-25 18:47, Brandon Ragland wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Not entirely certain if there is a decent D web applications
>> server
>> implementation as of yet, but if there is a project going on,
>> I'd love
>> to have a gander.
>>
>> On the off-chance there isn't one, who would be interested in
>> going at
>> it, call it, a 'group' project.
>>
>> I've been yearning for a D web app server for a while, as most
>> of my day
>> to day work is done on Java EE containers (think Glassfish,
>> Weblogic,
>> etc. Java Beans, lalala) and the insane system usage has
>> bothered me
>> from day one.
>>
>> There's Wt for C++, although I don't see much coming from
>> that, though
>> the concept is grand. Rust has a few up and coming web server
>> frameworks
>> as well.
>>
>> D could really excel here.
>>
>> -Thoughts? Am I crazy (probably)?
>>

> Not crazy. I've been working towards exactly that as hard I
> could (see on https://github.com/etcimon/), seeing how D would
> be the best language to write any web backend with. I've since
> worked on writing all the architecture in D: a new TLS library
> Botan, along with libhttp2 for HTTP/2 support and an async
> event loop (TCP/UDP/FileSystem/FileWatcher/DNS/Timers) library.
>
> I've written all the "glue" code to have it in the vibe.d
> framework and tested it as thoroughly as I could. I now
> consider it an achievement and use it in my web applications.
>
> I'm currently concentrating on improving an async postgresql
> driver called DDB and adding transactions, Json, TLS,
> Listen/Notify, etc.
>
> I think my next priority would be to rewrite the back-end of
> http://www.cosmocms.org with D and the vibe.web.web Web
> Interface, and Redis+Postgresql (sessions in redis). It's about
> 4k-5k LOC
>
> I think a good and necessary library would be for
> cross-platform, async DNS. I've been looking at this one in
> particular: https://github.com/miekg/dns

In relation to DDB: Have you seen: https://github.com/buggins/ddbc

It's most similar to the JDBC driver in Java. Currently supports
MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite. That might be a good starting point
to expand the SQL driver support for a web framework.

I dug around some of your repos, too early to comment but I'll
sift through more of it as time allows, see if I can't offer
anything towards your current goals in the near future.

I fully agree that D would be a great fit for web development.

Thanks for the reply.