Last call for AliasSeq

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 27 02:01:31 PDT 2015

On Monday, 27 July 2015 at 02:14:57 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> AliasTuple in particular has serious issues with it from the
> perspective of teaching people what it is an how to use it,
> because it has Tuple in its name,

People keep claiming that, but have never posted any evidence. We
know that _TypeTuple_ had issues, but for all we know, the
problem was the "Type" part, not the "Tuple" part.

> and the construct in question is not actually a tuple

And that's IMO another really bizarre claim. Of course it's a
tuple.

> (in addition to being easily confused with std.typecons.Tuple).
> This has been shown time and time again with TypeTuple.
>
> On technical merit, AliasSeq is one of the better choices; it
> was what TypeTuple had been changed to prior to the recent,
> large discussion on it; and none of the new suggestions are
> better enough to win any kind of consensus.

If ease of learning / avoidance of misunderstandings is a goal,
it's clear that AliasSeq is one of the worst choices. The term
"sequence" - in all other related areas of science or engineering
- invokes certain associations that don't fit this thing at all.
This has been brought up by several people, but it's just getting
ignored by the proponents.

As for Andrei and Walter: From what I've seen, they, too, agree
that AliasSeq is bad. Andrei's critique even started that other
thread.