Rant after trying Rust a bit

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 27 13:49:53 PDT 2015

On 7/27/15 3:35 PM, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> On Monday, 27 July 2015 at 19:11:53 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>>
>> That is completely unmaintainable.
>>

> I really don't get how the mess of unittests, mock data types, template
> constraints, and type interfaces that are just convention(ranges are
> just a convention, they don't exist anywhere) is supposed to some how be
> more maintainable than a single system that can serve the function of
> all of them and forces them all to be in sync 100% of the time.
> Seriously...

Clearly adding more language features to D would have certain payoff.
But we should not just go ahead and pull today's hot topic, which really
does change very often.

As the language's main proponents, we should be more inclined toward
using the language that we have creatively for solving interesting
tasks, instead of keeping on wishing that just one more feature would
make it perfect. The lure of the eternally-open design stage is very
powerful (I basked in its glow a number of times), but it inevitably
becomes an adversary to productivity - instead of getting work done,
there's always contemplating how the language design could be tweaked to
better accommodate the task at hand.

The withdrawal is unpleasant, I know. But we must acknowledge that the
design of D is done. The large stones and pillars we have in place are
there to stay, and D shall not be radically different five years from
now. We need to acknowledge that a lot of grass seems greener on the
other side (and some really is), but we need to make do with the
gardening tools we got.

I'll do my best to limit my participation in emotional debates, and
suggest other D luminaries to do the same. We should put strong emphasis
on finalizing the definition and implementation of the language we have
(those imprecisions and fuzzy corners are really counterproductive),
forge forward to do great work with D, and show others how it's done.

Thanks,

Andrei