Last call for AliasSeq

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 28 01:54:32 PDT 2015

On Monday, 27 July 2015 at 22:52:11 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Monday, 27 July 2015 at 09:01:33 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
>> On Monday, 27 July 2015 at 02:14:57 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>> wrote:
>>> AliasTuple in particular has serious issues with it from the
>>> perspective of teaching people what it is an how to use it,
>>> because it has Tuple in its name,
>>
>> People keep claiming that, but have never posted any evidence.
>> We know that _TypeTuple_ had issues, but for all we know, the
>> problem was the "Type" part, not the "Tuple" part.
>>

> We have various reports that are consistent and confirm this is
> an issue. At this point, this is a repeatable experiment, not
> an anecdote anymore. Ignoring repeatable experiment puts you in
> the tinfoil hat section of the population. You don't want to be
> there.

Well, your post kind of proves my point. You've stated this
several times, and you mentioned that people had problems, but as
evidence you only mentioned some obscure irc communications that
- for all I know - no one except you has ever seen. Now, I could
simply believe you there (after all you're a competent person),
but... that's not very scientific at all. If you say that these
are repeatable experiments, with a representative sample of the
programming community (or even just beginners), with consistent
outcomes, then I prefer to see evidence for these claims before I
believe them. I'm therefore not ignoring experiments, I have
doubts about the validity of said experiments.

> It is not ignored. It is simply that alternative proposal also
> have issues, and many of them have issues that are worse. No
> proposal was significantly better so that it reached any kind
> of consensus.
>
> No your personal favorite did not either.

I don't have a strong personal favourite, I just have a strong
anti-favourite :-)