Points of Failure

Brian Rogoff via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 28 15:16:06 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 28 July 2015 at 21:27:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> LOL. There's a lot of highly subjective stuff on that list,
>> and some of it seems
>> to think that normal practices are bad, like
>
> I agree, but it's still worth taking a look at it and seeing if
> there are any action items we should address.

The last time I tried to build dmd from source (on OS X) I found
the process pretty clunky compared to building similar languages,
like, say OCaml or Nim. I don't recall all of the pain points,
but I don't do it any more; I just grab the binary.

It would be great if the dmd build from source was just a few
simple steps I could run (git clone repo, make, make install, or
similar) and be confident that I had a working dmd. If that's how
it is now, just disregard this message...