Points of Failure

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 28 16:21:00 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 28 July 2015 at 22:55:03 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:41:55PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 28 July 2015 at 22:28:17 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> >A lot of his points are highly subjective, e.g., I don't see
>> >why having a web viewer for the source control system is so
>> >absolutely important that it's worth 5 points of FAIL. Do
>> >people seriously read through source code on a web viewer (as
>> >opposed to, say, git cloning it and looking at it / building
>> >it locally)?!
>>
>> Yes, I do it all the time. I'm often interested in just one
>> small file and don't want to download dozens of megabytes of
>> irrelevant garbage to get to them.
>
> I see. So this is one of those things where I do thing
> differently from everybody else, I guess?  Man, do I feel

Well, I hate reading the source online too (much easier to just
read it in gvim and be able to use grep to find stuff across
files). So, if I'm going to be doing much reading of source, I'm
going to download it, but at the same time, if I only have to
look at one file and not look deeply, I'll probably look online
rather than figuring out how to get the source locally.

- Jonathan M Davis