D Web Services Application Potential?

Etienne Cimon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 29 06:22:42 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 29 July 2015 at 11:06:03 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 29 July 2015 at 10:39:54 UTC, yawniek wrote:
>> sorry typo. i meant "we now can have statefull apis".
>

> Ok, then I get it. ;)
>
>> and i disagree on the limited usefulness.
>>
>> do you have REST api in native apps? i don't see much reason
>> why we should not develop web applications the way we develop
>> native apps.
>
> The goal should be to keep the server-side simple, robust,
> transactional and generic. Then push all the fickle
> special-casing to the client side.
>
> Why do work on the server when you can do almost everything on
> the client, caching data in Web Storage/IndexedDB?

There's a really minimal amount of code on web servers nowadays
with javascript frameworks and databases doing all the work. I
actually use the size of a vibe.d application (2mb) to my
advantage to produce a plugin that will overload certain requests
on the client's computer (via a windows service or launchd daemon
and reverse proxy). This allows much more extensive use of local
resources, which is really untapped way of developing web
applications at the moment, it really lets your imagination fly.