D Web Services Application Potential?

Brandon Ragland via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 29 17:01:58 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 29 July 2015 at 07:30:50 UTC, yawniek wrote:
> On Monday, 27 July 2015 at 06:10:29 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
>
>> For instance, for rendering pages I would rather front the D
>> backend with some (stateless) node app that fetches the data
>> from the D backend and uses something like React to render
>> server/client side. If the D backend could implement the
>> upcoming GraphQL that would be awesome.
>>
>> It has the benefit that a) the frontend-end devs still get
>> their familiar language, tools and libraries; and b) that all
>> the real stuff happens in D.
>
> this is absolutely the way to go.
>
> In times of reactive frameworks it makes no sense anymore to
> render html in the backend.
> backends/services should concentrate on data transformations
> (and security etc).
>
> in my opinion also the REST style apis will come to an end as
> we can easily have
> stateless apis these days ( 86.62%of browsers have websockets
> already according to http://caniuse.com/#feat=websockets ).
> The whole ghetto around maintaining state over http for a web
> application is nuts if you think about how native applications
> work.
>
> so the whole discussion about servlets is a bit moot or at
> least its very backward looking.
>
> while its probably a few years too early to see frameworks that
> _push_ webassembly to the client, we already see frameworks
> where javascript (or stuff that then compiles into it) is being
> pushed out. voltframework.com looks quite interesting.
>
> bottom line: in my opinion it will be hard to convince java
> style web programmers to switch to d. it might be a better
> strategy to build frameworks that can be used as solid, fast
> and stateful backends for apps and especially for games.

I can agree that it would be difficult to convince Java style
developers to switch.

Unfortunately Java and JSP based web systems are typically very
business oriented, and deployed for internal uses. Take for
example 1 World Sync. A huge part of it is built in Java and uses
JSF. It's super speedy to load pages, but isn't exactly what
mainstream sites are doing today.

The problem with Java being business oriented is that those
businesses will be reluctant to try new systems that aren't as
old, mature, or well-proven.