D Web Services Application Potential?

Brandon Ragland via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 29 17:08:51 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 29 July 2015 at 17:40:30 UTC, Etienne wrote:
> On Wednesday, 29 July 2015 at 14:30:49 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 29 July 2015 at 13:22:43 UTC, Etienne Cimon
>> wrote:
>>> I actually use the size of a vibe.d application (2mb) to my
>>> advantage to produce a plugin that will overload certain
>>> requests on the client's computer (via a windows service or
>>> launchd daemon and reverse proxy). This allows much more
>>> extensive use of local resources, which is really untapped
>>> way of developing web applications at the moment, it really
>>> lets your imagination fly.
>>
>> That is very interesting. But how do you push those apps to
>> the end-users without interrupting their browser experience?
>
> You have to make them download the app and agree to elevate.
> It's not going to be useful for content-based websites, but it
> definitely has potential in areas where a download
> would've/could've been necessary anyways e.g. music/video/image
> editing, phone calls, file sharing, productivity, games, etc.
>
> It really depends on how appealing it makes your application.
> If your offer beats competition by far, a download won't be
> regarded as disruptive.

I was hesitant to agree with you, as the whole point of a web app
is to have it *mostly* in the web browser. But one thing is for
sure a detriment to things: web apps that should have been native
apps.

There's nothing like firing up a project management system
online, and wondering why it's slow, unresponsive, and offers
little *powerful* features. Open Microsoft Project as a native
app under Windows, and boom. You're in *real* business.

For these kinds of apps, they shouldn't have ever been made "web
apps" but the way the world works, everybody wants everything to
be a "google search away" which is great and all, but places
serious limitations on just exactly what can be done.

A downloaded plugin, would be a man-in-the-middle solution. Users
get there "google search away" and developers get the necessary
native speed, flexibility, and components necessary to perform
better work.

The browser is a stellar user-interface engine. Certainly better
than GTK+ or MFC by a long shot. I just don't think the browser
is a useful *operating system* for all these "web apps" that
should be native.