D Web Services Application Potential?

Brandon Ragland via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 29 17:13:27 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 29 July 2015 at 11:06:03 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 29 July 2015 at 10:39:54 UTC, yawniek wrote:
>> sorry typo. i meant "we now can have statefull apis".
>

> Ok, then I get it. ;)
>
>> and i disagree on the limited usefulness.
>>
>> do you have REST api in native apps? i don't see much reason
>> why we should not develop web applications the way we develop
>> native apps.
>
> The goal should be to keep the server-side simple, robust,
> transactional and generic. Then push all the fickle
> special-casing to the client side.
>
> Why do work on the server when you can do almost everything on
> the client, caching data in Web Storage/IndexedDB?

Because connections are slow, and 80% of the world's "up and
coming" nations are still way behind European download speeds.
Chine barely got past 2Mbps last year. 50% the US is still under
6Mbps. Africa can't get over 1.5Mbps.

Trying to send globs of data to the user to render each and every
request is aching for a user to reject your service or app as
"slow and stupid".

The browser was never intended to be a "virtual machine" but
instead a rendering engine capable of rendering web-pages. Not
parsing, and then interpreting JavaScript (or should we say:
booty-script. I've never encountered a more horrid language with
terrible speeds. V8 runs like a 2 cylinder lawn mower.)

Apps that should be native, should be kept native. The world
hasn't *really* evolved fast enough yet to actually take on the
browser as the "app virtual machine" we developers want it to be.