D Web Services Application Potential?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 29 19:17:33 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 01:42:02 UTC, Etienne wrote:
> There's been lots of improvements in the DOM, those slick CSS3
> transitions are actually hardware accelerated with OpenGL, lots
> of GUI front-ends don't event have transitions in the first
> place. I wouldn't rely on Javascript for crunching data though,
> the "slowness" you talk about? Mostly stems from that.
> Otherwise, for display, it certainly is a great tool with lots
> of open source components.

In my experience performance issues are either DOM/redraw
related, or old versions of IE. Javascript performance and
download speed are nonissues if you do it right. Send data in a
format that compresses well and those 2MB turn into 200K. Add
caching and background loading... Etc...

> While some are still blaming the hammer, I blame the person
> trying to hit the nail on the head with his eyes closed.

Yes. Unfortunately many Javascript programmers don't know how to
do it right... Or their superiors halt development before
performance tuning because it "works".