D Web Services Application Potential?

Brandon Ragland via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 29 21:00:49 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 02:17:34 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 01:42:02 UTC, Etienne wrote:
>> There's been lots of improvements in the DOM, those slick CSS3
>> transitions are actually hardware accelerated with OpenGL,
>> lots of GUI front-ends don't event have transitions in the
>> first place. I wouldn't rely on Javascript for crunching data
>> though, the "slowness" you talk about? Mostly stems from that.
>> Otherwise, for display, it certainly is a great tool with lots
>> of open source components.
>
> In my experience performance issues are either DOM/redraw
> related, or old versions of IE. Javascript performance and
> download speed are nonissues if you do it right. Send data in a
> format that compresses well and those 2MB turn into 200K. Add
> caching and background loading... Etc...
>
>> While some are still blaming the hammer, I blame the person
>> trying to hit the nail on the head with his eyes closed.
>
> Yes. Unfortunately many Javascript programmers don't know how
> to do it right... Or their superiors halt development before
> performance tuning because it "works".

That's still unacceptable, and by the way, the numbers I were
using were indeed compress (with DEFLATE) numbers from Facebook.

The average Facebook Timeline (compressed, with DEFLATE) is about
~4MiB to download.

200KiB isn't bad, and that'll generally be loaded in a second or
so on most American 6mbps streams (and faster for the other 50%
with better speeds) but 4MiB compressed is a bit too much.

If you leave that same Facebook Timeline open, lazy loading kicks
in and within 10 minutes you're total download is ~10MiB (usually
pictures that get loaded in).