D for Game Development

Brandon Ragland via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 30 08:10:57 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 14:44:30 UTC, CraigDillabaugh wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 14:18:21 UTC, Brandon Ragland
> wrote:

>>> GC's up.
>>
>> Minecraft, written in java which has a GC does perfectly fine.
>>
>> A GC is not a reason a game cannot be developed.
>>
>> Look at how many browser-based games there are, which use a GC
>> somewhere from the interpreted Flash or JS.
>
> Minecraft is a dog though ... I always have to kill my kids
> ongoing game
> if I ever want to do any real work on the same machine.

It's a dog because Java is a dog. But that's not because of the
GC.

It's not really that bad either, I can open up Minecraft at any
time and have it sit in the background quietly using ~800Mb ram
and virtually no cpu time.

Either your kid has tons of mods in their Minecraft or your
computer is a bit dated.