D for Game Development

Brandon Ragland via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 30 11:47:56 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 15:23:18 UTC, Minas Mina wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 14:18:21 UTC, Brandon Ragland
> wrote:

>>> GC's up.
>>
>> Minecraft, written in java which has a GC does perfectly fine.
>>
>> A GC is not a reason a game cannot be developed.
>>
>> Look at how many browser-based games there are, which use a GC
>> somewhere from the interpreted Flash or JS.
>
> Not really.
> http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/support/server-support/server-administration/1916245-garbage-collection-issues-help-with-java
>
> Look it up in google.

First: That doesn't reflect the majority of users, and is an
isolated case.

Second: That doesn't prove anything about GC in general. Perhaps
they were using an out-dated Java version, or one of their
plugins was hogging things up.

Garbage collection is a non-issue even in most video games.
Minecraft is an *extreme* case because minecraft has tons and
tons of user variables to take into account, such as the
thousands of blocks users place, and all the entities that
wouldn't be an issue in say, an FPS or MMO RPG game.

If anything, Minecraft is an example of how well GC can work,
even when the program itself is seriously abusing the heap and
dynamic memory allocation.