D for Game Development

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 30 15:39:36 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 21:27:09 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 15:10:59 UTC, Brandon Ragland
> wrote:
>> It's a dog because Java is a dog. But that's not because of
>> the GC.
>>
>> It's not really that bad either, I can open up Minecraft at
>> any time and have it sit in the background quietly using
>> ~800Mb ram and virtually no cpu time.
>>
>> Either your kid has tons of mods in their Minecraft or your
>> computer is a bit dated.
>
> Now compare that kind of resources consumption with any game
> based on Quake III engine. While you are at it, compare the
> graphisms. Still not convinced ? Measure latencies, which are
> critical for most games.

Heh, what about the original Quake or Unreal? Both ran quite well
on a Pentium 100 with 16MB of RAM. Not sure if memory is serving
me right, but I suspect the amount of visible triangles per scene
in Quake 1 can be comparable to that of Minecraft's, except it
was released almost 20 years ago... I think I was able to run it
on my 486 with 8MB of RAM, though it was more of a slideshow than
a game, even with minimum viewport size, but still!