D for Game Development

Brandon Ragland via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 30 20:29:57 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 21:27:09 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 15:10:59 UTC, Brandon Ragland
> wrote:
>> It's a dog because Java is a dog. But that's not because of
>> the GC.
>>
>> It's not really that bad either, I can open up Minecraft at
>> any time and have it sit in the background quietly using
>> ~800Mb ram and virtually no cpu time.
>>
>> Either your kid has tons of mods in their Minecraft or your
>> computer is a bit dated.
>
> Now compare that kind of resources consumption with any game
> based on Quake III engine. While you are at it, compare the
> graphisms. Still not convinced ? Measure latencies, which are
> critical for most games.

Again,

People see minecraft as "terrible graphics, pixellated" but each
block represents 16 triangles, and there could be thousands of
blocks on screen. You're easily looking at 200,000 triangles on
"far" render mode.

Then you have folks who use 512x512 mapped images per block, so
now you have a HUGE textel density.

People need to get their facts straight. I don't like Minecraft,
but by no means in Minecraft some amateur game from 1990s running
terribly on a computer.

That game is every bit as CPU intensive as a modern game, though
it looks like trash at first.

Granted, it's by far not written well, but even for poorly
written code, it performs better than I could have ever expected.