What is the current status of D build systems?

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 31 00:17:35 PDT 2015

On 31 July 2015 at 13:20, Yuxuan Shui via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 31 July 2015 at 02:00:41 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, 31 July 2015 at 00:13:42 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
>>
>>> are there any other build systems I should look into?
>>>

>> Premake [1] supports mixing languages in the same build script. It's not a
>> build tool itself, but can generate makefiles and IDE projects. Manu [2]
>> maintains extensions for D support.
>>
>> [1] https://premake.github.io/
>> [2] https://github.com/premake/premake-dlang
>

> It seems premake-dlang is not capable of fetch dub packages, is that
> correct?

In that it doesn't have a special command to fetch dub packages, that
is true. Premake projects are expressed with a scripting language
though (Lua), so it's very easy to execute dub commands to fetch
packages as part of your script if that's what you want to do.

I haven't received any interest in built-in dub integration, but it's
theoretically possible to make a built-in solution for fetching dub
packages as part of the process quite easily.
Using dub as a build system though is off the table though if you mix
languages. It may be useful as a package manager, but generating
standard makefiles for the multi-language build is necessary.