Rant after trying Rust a bit

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 31 02:37:09 PDT 2015

On Friday, 31 July 2015 at 04:47:20 UTC, Enamex wrote:
> Right now docs say that `delete` is getting deprecated but
> using it on DMD .067.1 gives no warnings.

There are no warnings because it hasn't actually been deprecated
yet. So, the docs are quite correct. They say that it's _going_
to be deprecated, not that it has been deprecated. Ideally, it
would have been deprecated quite some time ago, but without the
custom allocators, it's a lot harder to do something similar to
what delete does. So, if we'd actually deprecated it, we'd have
done so without a viable alternative (it's possible without
custom allocators, but it's hard to get right). Now, I think that
the reality of the matter that it hasn't been deprecated is
simply because no one has gotten around to it yet, but there are
problems with deprecating it prior getting customer allocators.
Fortunately, it looks like we will soon have that in
std.experimental, so it will become more reasonable to deprecate
delete, and maybe we can finally deprecate it and start moving it
out of the language. But it's been planned for ages that delete
would be removed from D at some point.

- Jonathan M Davis