Entry point a la "git" or "go"

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 1 00:01:31 PDT 2015

On 2015-06-01 01:11, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> There's this recent trend seen with git and go - all tooling is entered
> by a single command.
>
> Are there advantages to doing the same for our toolchain? (Consider
> it'll include things such as dub, dfix, and dformat in the future.)
> Something like "dc", a program that parses the command line and
> dispatches it to the appropriate tool(s).
>
> How would this add value to our toolchain?

I like the idea. Currently there are a couple flags that are kind of
namespaced example:

   -D             generate documentation
   -Dddocdir      write documentation file to docdir directory
   -Dffilename    write documentation file to filename

I have thought of moving the doc generating to a separate
tool/executable, to allow better names for these flags and avoid
cluttering the compiler with flags. But making it into an action/command
on the compiler instead would be even better.

--
/Jacob Carlborg