Make dub part of the standard dmd distribution

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 1 00:09:09 PDT 2015

On 1 June 2015 at 16:54, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 1 Jun 2015 08:45, "Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d"
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 06/01/2015 01:57 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>
>>> On 1 June 2015 at 15:05, Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d

>>> Right, so, someone decide a path, we'll write it on dlang.org, and
>>> then everyone will agree and fall in line :)
>>>

>> Not sure how serious/joking you are about that, but when has declaring a
>> standard whatever like that ever worked for anything ever? ;) Linux can't
>> even agree with Linux on where things should go, apparently that's why C on
>> linux has pkg-config.
>>

> Leave it to the distribution is the safe option in my experience.  To have
> something along the lines of what Manu wants, I guess we need something like
> virtualenv to allow building in a clean/standard environment.

Yeah, I think I can see 2 parallel problems here.
1. There is a lib installed from a -dev package managed by the
distribution... I just want the complementary .d files. (this is what
I actually care about)
2. There is some open-source D code which isn't distributed as a
binary, it's just a git repo and you fetch it and build it locally. (I
find that I rarely need this, so I don't have much opinion on this
case)

For case 1, my preference would be a distro managed package alongside
the lib itself, and installed into a standard location. If dub could
pull the bindings I want and put them in some common location, fine.
For case 2... I dunno. What if you offer a lib that falls into case 2;
source is available, user can fetch and build against it locally, but
it contains C code too? dub isn't exactly a build system which can
express a complex build environment.
I can't create a dub package for my engine, which might be of interest
to D gamedevs.