Why aren't you using D at work?

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 1 00:24:51 PDT 2015

On 1 June 2015 at 16:50, Dan Olson via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> "Joakim" <dlang at joakim.fea.st> writes:
>
>> On Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 14:38:51 UTC, Manu wrote:
>>> I often wonder if others share the importance of mobile
>>> cross-compilers?
>>
>> I wonder that sometimes too, considering it's only two people working
>> on them.
>>
>>> They seem to be getting lots of love recently, which is very
>>> exciting!
>>> I'd like to encourage those working on the Android/iOS toolchains to
>>> publish regular binary builds of the toolchains so we with little
>>> allocated working time can grab the latest toolchains and try our
>>> stuff from time to time.
>>
>> I can't speak for Dan, who's been getting iOS working, but I just got
>> Android/ARM running a week ago, so it's too early to put out builds.
>> However, it wouldn't take much time to try out the Android/x86 support
>> from source, since the build process is documented on the wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Build_DMD_for_Android
>
> And for iOS - https://github.com/smolt/ldc-iphone-dev
>
> I was hoping others would try out this ldc for iOS and give feedback,
> suggest where to focus next, but nothing so far.  It does pretty well if
> all you need is to compile D code but don't need Objective-C interop or
> nice Xcode interaction.
>
> Would putting up a binary build help?  I can do that.

Yes. I basically won't look at anything without a binary build.
Call me whatever you like; I am a completely typical Windows developer
in this way. If there is no binary, the thought that I should build it
myself doesn't cross my mind ;)

It would be nice if it were easy to find; present among the other LDC downloads?
Possible to work iOS toolchain build into the existing LDC CI solution?

I think all these missing cross-compilers need to find themselves into
regular build cycles, and maintained alongside the existing releases.
Much easier to take them seriously in that context, and gives better
visibility; it feels like these efforts are somewhat fragmented until
recently.
Having toolchain alpha-releases available, even without libraries in
working order, makes the bar much lower for people to get in and start
hacking on the libraries.