Why aren't you using D at work?

Dan Olson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 1 09:38:59 PDT 2015

Manu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> writes:
> On 1 June 2015 at 16:50, Dan Olson via Digitalmars-d
>> And for iOS - https://github.com/smolt/ldc-iphone-dev
>>
>> I was hoping others would try out this ldc for iOS and give feedback,
>> suggest where to focus next, but nothing so far.  It does pretty well if
>> all you need is to compile D code but don't need Objective-C interop or
>> nice Xcode interaction.
>>
>> Would putting up a binary build help?  I can do that.
>
> Yes. I basically won't look at anything without a binary build.
> Call me whatever you like; I am a completely typical Windows developer
> in this way. If there is no binary, the thought that I should build it
> myself doesn't cross my mind ;)

In this case you'd have to be an OS X developer, as the binaries will be
for a Mac.

> It would be nice if it were easy to find; present among the other LDC
> downloads?

When ready, I will add a link to the iOS section of
http://wiki.dlang.org/LDC

> Possible to work iOS toolchain build into the existing LDC CI solution?
>
> I think all these missing cross-compilers need to find themselves into
> regular build cycles, and maintained alongside the existing releases.
> Much easier to take them seriously in that context, and gives better
> visibility; it feels like these efforts are somewhat fragmented until
> recently.
> Having toolchain alpha-releases available, even without libraries in
> working order, makes the bar much lower for people to get in and start
> hacking on the libraries.

Yeah, we need to work on getting iOS support into LDC main offering. For
now there is a stumbling block (at least perceived by me) of requiring a
patched LLVM to support TLS on iOS.