Daily downloads in decline

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 1 11:58:03 PDT 2015

On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 18:11:32 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Per http://erdani.com/d/downloads.daily.png, the 28-day moving
> average of daily dmd downloads is in pronounced decline
> following a peak at the 2.067 release. It is possible that the
> recent release of Rust 1.0 has caused that, shifting drive-by
> experimenters to it.

I don't know that we should over-react to the recent slump,
especially since it was presaged by such a large spike.  I'm sure
it'll pick back up again as people start watching the Dconf 2015
videos.  Filtering out the noise, the daily download numbers look
stable around 1200 for almost the last year.

The real issue is how we take the next jump upwards.  Hopefully,
mobile support, which only Dan and I are working on right now,
can help with that. :)

> 1. It's a big bummer that nothing has happened with chopping up
> the videos over the weekend. Right now DConf is three 6-hour
> blobs of unstructured footage. John has warned us he might not
> have broadband access to do so during his travels. In
> retrospect, what we should have done was to immediately arrange
> that John gives access to the videos to someone willing and
> able to do the postprocessing.

Given the subpar quality of the livestream, I'm not sure we
should be highlighting those videos.  I've watched several hours
of the livestream and the frequent audio dropouts are very
annoying.  What is the plan to put out the better videos recorded
by the organizers: put them all out as soon as they're available
or stagger their release?

On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 18:14:40 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> 4. We need to marshal our efforts behind 2.068, and clarify the
> big ticket items accomplished. I'm thinking rangification of
> Phobos - GC no longer needed for most primitives, and
> documented where needed. As much as I want it, ddmd seems to
> not be happening for 2.068 because of, simply put, insufficient
> resources.

Can you expand on why ddmd is getting delayed?  I, and seemingly
many others, were looking forward to ddmd.  I did not see
Daniel's talk as it wasn't livestreamed.  Perhaps we can help get
ddmd out the door.