Daily downloads in decline

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 1 14:37:48 PDT 2015

On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 18:11:32 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Per http://erdani.com/d/downloads.daily.png, the 28-day moving
> average of daily dmd downloads is in pronounced decline
> following a peak at the 2.067 release. It is possible that the
> recent release of Rust 1.0 has caused that, shifting drive-by
> experimenters to it.
>
> We need to act on this on multiple fronts.
>
> 1. It's a big bummer that nothing has happened with chopping up
> the videos over the weekend. Right now DConf is three 6-hour
> blobs of unstructured footage. John has warned us he might not
> have broadband access to do so during his travels. In
> retrospect, what we should have done was to immediately arrange
> that John gives access to the videos to someone willing and
> able to do the postprocessing.
>
> 2. It's an equally big bummer that "This Week in D" failed to
> be there on Sunday night. I completely understand Adam's
> overhead, what with his still traveling and all, but the bottom
> line is if it's not every Sunday it's not steady and if it's
> not steady it's not. Again, in retrospect it seems we need
> backup plans for when the protagonist of whatever important
> activity is unable to carry it. Who'd like to double Adam on
> this?
>
> 3. We've just had a good conference with solid content, but if
> our collective actions are to be interpreted, we did our best
> to be as stealth as possible. Please consider writing blogs,
> articles, tweets, posts, related to all that stuff. Speakers in
> particular should consider converting their good work into
> articles. Programmer news sites are full of Rust-related stuff;
> we must respond in kind with great D content.
>
> All of us who have an interest in D to succeed must understand
> there is also a proportional sense of duty. If you can do X and
> don't, it can be safely assumed X will just not get done at
> all. Which means whatever you can do, please just do it, do it
> now, and stay with it until it's done.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

For me any language that can help reduce the amount of C like
code that keeps getting written is good.

So I do cherish for all languages pursuing such goal.

Anyway, I was going to post something about IO, but it can wait.

Just did a short post to create awareness for the conference,
slides and unedited videos availability.

--
Paulo