Daily downloads in decline

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 1 18:55:20 PDT 2015

On 2 June 2015 at 05:35, Israel via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 18:58:04 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>
> Im Curious, is the effort putting more focus towards iOS or Android?
>
> Also, it would probably help if the version numbers didnt increment so
> slowly.
> Maybe 2.10 for DDMD?

This is a good idea. It's subtle, but probably significant.

My impression of others when discussing D with colleagues, is that
it's almost entirely nothing more than a matter of perception.
(...well, and the hard blockers I've mentioned elsewhere, but they
don't often know about those, I keep that to myself ;)
There's an important element of psychology in terms of presentation
that we aren't quite getting right.

I think the presentation needs to change such that the general
impression move from an assorted collection of OSS community projects,
to something more akin to 'a product'. With releases that are
controlled, deliberate, and coordinated (between all the significant
parts).

Considering Andrei's comparison to Rust before; Rust does present
itself as confident, deliberate, and unified. Whether this is true or
not, that's the impression I have of Rust, for whatever reason. I'm
not alone, my colleagues who have investigated it independently have
come to the same conclusion. It's simply perception, but that's very
powerful, and people seem to have more confidence in Rust at the
moment.
We need to make sure the public facing media makes the proper
impression, and I think key to that is making sure all the fragments
of the ecosystem are working properly together.

I would say this is more important than language development for the moment.
Package management (in one way or another) is probably a very
important focus right now.