Make dub part of the standard dmd distribution

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 2 02:12:14 PDT 2015

On 2/06/2015 8:54 p.m., ketmar wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 16:05:17 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>
>> A protocol to be used between dmd and dub (or any other package fetcher)
>> would be a good first step.
>
> that was the thing i once proposed. see, we have a powerful scripting
> language inside DMD: D! yet we never used all it's power to do something
> really exciting -- like, for example, preparing command lines for
> external package fetching tool and parsing the answers. instead of
> providing a simple module for that, it all goes to be hardcoded.
>
> i extended CTFE engine with simple file i/o functions and "system" call
> with config-defined executables (something like sudoers list) just to see
> if it will be usable. and it's surprisingly fun even with all the limits
> and without hooks for module imports and so on.
>
> this system can be extended to allow writing arbitrary subcommands (like
> git). just import the corresponding subcommand module, if any, and CTFE
> it's invocation point. bingo! the system that can be extended without
> recompiling the compiler. and user can add subcommands on per-project
> base!
>
> sadly, this seems to get no "wow!"s. :-(

I say wow.

Okay not really I know it is possible and not all the hard.
Personally I think it is a rather an awesome possibility.

Really what I want is to add the ability to add on the compiler side
symbols that can be CTFE'd.
Registered at start of runtime.

Add on shared library support and wamo. You can add stuff like this
pretty arbitrary :)