Uphill

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 2 15:41:20 PDT 2015

On 06/02/2015 09:43 AM, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?=
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2 June 2015 at 13:37:47 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> and there was a thing that allows to use real applications without
>> installing them... java web start! way too ahead of it's time, though...

And 0install. (Though I admit I haven't checked in on that in a few
years. But I always wanted to see that, or something like it, succeed.)

> Java got itself a bad reputation in the 90s by providing a really poor
> implementation.

Over the years, I've noticed that one of the best ways to kill an idea
is to get everyone onboard a really, really bad implementation of it.
(Ex, see: "email" vs "exchange server and webmail clients", or "static
type system" vs "C++ and Java". Or IMHO: "desktop/laptop computers" vs
"every major desktop OS in existence" ;))